We all know we have to wash our makeup brushes… but not this often *sigh*
Washing your makeup brushes is one of those tasks that many of us put off for so long … and sometimes we just forget altogether for weeks on end.
A lot of people don’t realise the health implications that go along with that, but as soon as you read them, you’ll be scheduling multiple weekly reminders on your phone, trust me!
According to the American Academy of Dermatology: “Dirty makeup brushes can wreak havoc on the skin. In addition to collecting product residue, dirt and oil, makeup brushes are a breeding ground for bacteria.
“This could compromise your complexion — in the form of acne breakouts and rashes — as well as your health.
“Dirty makeup brushes can cause an infection, such as a fungal infection, E. coli, or a staph infection, which can be very serious.”
Apparently, if we want to protect our skin and kill any harmful bacteria that lingers in your makeup brushes, you need to be washing your brushes every 7 to 10 days.
To make things easier in the cleaning process, dermatologists recommend the following tips:
- Rinse the tips of your brushes under lukewarm, running water to remove residual makeup. Only rinse the tip, as submerging the whole brush head will eventually dissolve the glue that connects the brush head to the handle.
- Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and a tablespoon of either gentle shampoo or clarifying shampoo. Using plain soap and water can dry out the bristles.
- Swirl each brush tip in the bowl. For a good lather, you can also massage each brush tip in the palm of your hand.
- Rinse the brush tips under running water.
- Continue shampooing and rinsing each brush until the water runs clear from the brush.
- Squeeze out excess moisture with a clean, dry paper towel.
- Lay your brushes flat to dry on a towel with the tips hanging off the edge of the counter. Do not dry your brushes upright in a container, as this will cause the water to run down the brushes, loosening the glue that connects the brush head with the handle.
There are so many brush cleaners out there, but there is one I absolutely swear by because it takes less than 30 minutes to clean all of my brushes (I have an excessive number of them) and they look like new after.
It’s the Stylpro Makeup Brush Cleaner and Dryer and you can buy it in Boots, on Amazon and in some pharmacies across Ireland.
It’s €49.99 and comes with:
- 8 x Flexible Silicone Collars
- Collar stand
- STYLPRO device
- 2 x AAA batteries
- Recyclable Plastic, BPA-free, Scratch & Stain Resistant Bowl
- Bowl Neck
- 150ml STYLPRO Vegan Makeup brush cleanser
- 2 X Stylpro makeup brushes
Here’s how to use it
- Select a collar to fit your makeup brush.
- Attach the collar to the brush, and the brush to the STYLPRO device.
- Add approx. 8ml of STYLPRO Vegan Cleaner to the STYLPRO BPA-Free Bowl (DO NOT add water) .
- Gently dunk your brush in and out of the STYLPRO Vegan Cleanser to begin melting away makeup.
- Turn on the STYLPRO device and spin the makeup brush clean in the solution for 10 seconds.
- Lift the brush above the cleanser and spin dry for 10 seconds (make sure you keep the brush inside the bowl when drying).
- Detach the brush from device and use brushes straight away!
Let us know if you have tried this product before, and if you love it as much as we do?
- Dermatologists reveal how often we should actually be washing our makeup brushes
- Is Dry January still a thing? Figures show new trend emerging in Ireland
- Five reasons we should be wearing sunglasses in winter, according to experts
- Winter skincare: How to protect against cold weather, central heating and extreme temperature changes