He’s recovering well.
A two year old child in Uganda has been rescued after he was swallowed by a hippo last week.
In a statement from the Uganda Police Force on Friday, they said that the two year old was attacked by the animal, swallowing half of his body before spitting him out.
The incident happened in the Katwe-Kabatoro district, in the southwest of the country, and the boy who has been named as Iga Paul was playing when the attack occurred.
Iga was playing at his home in Rwenjubu cell, Lake Katwe when he found himself dangerously close to the wild animal.
“It took the bravery of a one Chrispas Bagonza, who was nearby, to save the victim after he stoned the hippo and scared it, causing it to release the victim from its mouth,” a spokesperson for Uganda Police Force said in the statement.
After being saved, Iga was taken to a nearby clinic to be treated for his injuries but was later transferred to Bwera Hospital, west Uganda, for further treatment.
Now discharged, Iga is making a full recovery after receiving a vaccine for rabies and being handed back to his parents by police.
“Although the hippo was scared back into the lake, all residents near animal sanctuaries and habitats should know that wild animals are very dangerous,” the statement said.
“Instinctually, wild animals see humans as a threat and any interaction can cause them to act strangely or aggressively.”
Hippos are known to be one of the most dangerous animals on the planet, with National Geographic reporting that they have the ability to snap a canoe in half with their jaws alone.
- 29 puppies rescued from illegal trafficking at Belfast Port
- Five children rescued from van as driver is arrested
- 11 year old girl rescued off island in west Cork