Carlee Russell has admitted, via a statement from her lawyer, that she was not kidnapped at all, but criminal charges may still be brought in the case
People.com have reported on the ongoing saga of Carlethia Nichole Russell, aka Carlee, a 25-year-old who claimed to have been kidnapped earlier this month, saying that she wasn’t kidnapped at all and that police officers knew it was a “hoax”.
The Alabama woman was the subject of a missing persons investigation after authorities say she disappeared after calling 911 to report a child walking along the side of a highway.
After a statement was released by Russell’s lawyers, it has now become apparent that she wasn’t kidnapped at all.
“There was no kidnapping on July 13,” the statement read. Russell’s attorney, Emory Anthony, continued: “My client did not see a baby and did not leave the Hoover area, she did not have an accomplice, she was not in a hotel or was with anyone while she was missing.
“My client did not have help in this incident, that this was a single act done by herself. My client was not with anyone or any hotel with anyone from the time she was missing. My client apologises for her actions to this community, the volunteers who were searching for her, to the Hoover Police Department and other agencies as well as to her friends and family.”
Anthony went on to ask for prayers while Russell “addresses her issues and attempts to move forward, understanding that she made a mistake in this matter,” saying that “Carlee, again, asks for your forgiveness and prayers.”
The police said they were “unable to verify” her claims about a missing toddler, and having read the statement Chief Nicholas Derzis said “we knew it was a hoax.” He went on to say: “We certainly laid the facts out to you guys. The sad thing is, there were so many people that were involved and took this thing very very seriously, we wanted the focus to be bringing her home, we’re excited about that.”