It practically tastes like Christmas.
Most of us love a glass of mulled wine (or two or three) now that we have officially entered the festive season.
And while we can pop to pretty much any supermarket at this stage and pick up a bottle of the pre-mixed stuff, few things will come close to making proper, homemade mulled wine from scratch.
The good news? Mulled wine is pretty easy to make – you just need to know what to add to get it to taste the way it really is meant to –like hygge in a cup.
Nobody does mulled wine quite like Avoca, and as luck would have it, we got them to share their top-secret, world-famous recipe with us – and so now you can make their fabulously festive mulled wine at home in your own kitchen:
Avoca Festive Mulled Wine
Ingredients: (Serves 4 people)
- 1 bottle full-bodied fruity red wine (Malbec, Syrah or Chianti)
- 1 large orange, peeled & juiced
- 80 ml brandy
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 4 allspice berries
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Cinnamon stick for each glass, orange peel or lemon peel
- In a medium-sized pot, add red wine, orange peel & juice, brandy, sugar & all the spices.
- Simmer over medium heat until the sugar dissolves stirring throughout.
- Keep on low simmer for 25 more minutes to let all the spices infuse. (Your kitchen will smell glorious!)
- Serve warm, garnished with a cinnamon stick & extra citrus peel of your choice.