By Rory Cashin
Check out the list below to see how many of the best movies of the last 25 years you’ve seen.
The title of best film is obviously very subjective, but the following list is very hard to argue with.
To celebrate their 25th anniversary, Rotten Tomatoes contacted the full list of their approved Tomatometer critics, and asked them to choose, in no particular order, their five best movies of the last 25 years.
Since launching in August 1998, Rotten Tomatoes has been a very handy – if not always entirely accurate – shorthand to find out if a movie is good or not, and this specific count down of the 25 best movies since then is arguably an even better reminder of the best of the best of the last quarter of a century.
It is an impressively eclectic list too, with two superhero movies, six international language movies, two family-friendly movies, some horror, some action, loads of drama, and pretty much everything else in between.
The full breakdown of the top 25 best movies can be found here, but here they are along with their original Rotten Tomatoes score:
- Mad Max: Fury Road – 97%
- Parasite – 99%
- Mulholland Dr. – 83%
- The Dark Knight – 94%
- Portrait of a Lady on Fire – 97%
- In the Mood for Love – 92%
- Spirited Away – 96%
- Pan’s Labyrinth – 95%
- The Matrix – 83%
- The Social Network – 96%
- No Country for Old Men – 93%
- There Will Be Blood – 91%
- Get Out – 98%
- Moonlight – 98%
- Everything Everywhere All At Once – 94%
- Magnolia – 82%
- Whiplash – 94%
- Inside Llewyn Davis – 92%
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring – 91%
- Zodiac – 90%
- Inglourious Basterds – 89%
- The Tree of Life – 85%
- Paddington 2 – 99%
- Black Panther – 96%
- Arrival – 94%
- ‘A moment we’ll never forget’ – Olly Murs holds back tears in wedding clip as wife Amelia walks down aisle
- Euphoria cast pay tribute to Angus Cloud following tragic death
- Courtney Brosnan on what Vera Pauw and Katie McCabe said in final World Cup huddle
- Six cheap and cheerful ways to celebrate National Girlfriend Day
- Jess and Sammy crowned winners of Love Island summer series