The incident took place in Denver, Colorado.
A four-month-old girl was left an orphan after her parents attended a party where five people died.
As the Daily Mail reports, Aria’s parents, Sam Marquez and Karina Rodriguez, were found dead alongside two other women and a man at an apartment on Sunday in Commerce City in Denver, Colorado.
A neighbour called police after he spotted one of the adults holding baby Aria outside the scene. The adult, Sam’s sister Cora, survived the incident and was taken to hospital. She says that she has no recollection of the party.
Police say that the four-month-old is doing well.
Karina was also a mother to an older boy from a previous relationship, who has been named as Josiah.
Authorities believe that the five people died after taking fentanyl-laced cocaine, though they are awaiting toxicology results.
District Attorney Brian Mason shared some of the details of the case with Fox 31.
He said: “It appears they ingested fentanyl. Fentanyl is not typically something that a user would ingest in a line. So, I think they probably thought they were taking cocaine.”
He added: “Just a simple exposure to fentanyl can be lethal.”
It’s understood that investigators entered the property wearing hazmat suits to prevent themselves from any possible exposure.
The attorney explained: “Just a simple exposure to fentanyl can be lethal. Particularly when it’s pure fentanyl. Once it gets into your system, it’s too late. You can’t call 911, you can’t call for help. It immediately kills you.”
He added: “No drug is safe right now.”
The final cause of death will be determined once the toxicology results come through.
According to the Daily Mail, there were 210 overdoses from the drug fentanyl in Denver in 2021, an increase compared to the previous years.