The HSE has issued a warning to Irish tourists.
The HSE has issued advice to Irish tourists in Bordeaux, France after a reported botulism outbreak.
One Irish man has been admitted to the ICU following the outbreak at a venue in Bordeaux. It reportedly affected several people who ate contaminated sardines at the Tchin Tchin Wine Bar.
The HSE has issued an update for tourists in Bordeaux and is urging them to be cautious. Anyone feeling unwell should seek medical attention immediately.
“A small number of Irish citizens’ are being treated following the suspected outbreak, with one Irish native being treated in an intensive care unit. The outbreak has resulted in the death of one woman.”
Anyone who ate sardines at the restaurant between September 4th and 10th should seek urgent medical care if they’re feeling unwell.
Botulism can be a serious and life-threatening illness that can lead to paralysis and death.
Botulism is spread when a person eats food where the toxin Clostridium is present.
The HSE urged people to beware of the following symptoms as they can take weeks to develop.
Patients will experience muscle weakness, drooping eyelids, double vision, difficulty swallowing, and blurry vision. They may also experience slurred speech, difficulty moving their eyes, and difficulty breathing.
- Paul Mescal named on TIME Magazine’s list of most influential people for future
- Stranger Things releases first teaser for its final season
- Love Island star Laura Anderson opens up following daughter’s birth
- Olivia Rodrigo announces Dublin dates on Guts World Tour
- Selena Gomez’s reaction to Chris Brown’s VMA nominee goes viral