Looking for something healthy to try?
But fear not, a healthy breakfast does not mean you have to settle for watery porridge or plain hard boiled eggs. Oh no. Breakfasts have come a long way since those dark days.
We are currently loving the bowl trend when it comes to our brekkie. And if you are in need of some inspiration, here are three of our current favourite ways to enjoy breakfast in a bowl:
1. Coconut Banana Oats with Crunchy Black Sesame Quinoa Cereal and Mango
It’s sort of like granola, but a little less calorific per cup, and crazy crunchy and delicious.
- Coconut Banana Oat Smoothie
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup coconut milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- half of a medium banana
- Crunchy Black Sesame Quinoa Cereal
- 3 1/4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup whole cashews, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup black sesame seeds (may use white if needed)
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (optional)
- good pinch of salt
- half a mango, chopped or sliced
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, chopped
- fresh mint leaves
- Coconut butter, melted for drizzling
- unsweetened coconut flakes
Crunchy Black Sesame Quinoa Cereal
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line 2 baking sheet with parchment.
In a large bowl add the quinoa, almonds, cashews, sesame seeds and flax seeds. Stir in the honey, coconut oil, vanilla extract, instant coffee and a pinch of salt, Mix well. Dump the mixture out over the two prepared baking sheets and spread evenly. Bake for 35-50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes until lightly golden brown all over. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before storing.
To make the Coconut Banana Oats
Mix together the oats, 1/2 cup coconut milk, chia seeds, vanilla and salt in a small bowl. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or preferably overnight. (Now is when I would make the quinoa cereal). The next morning add the mixture to a blender along with the remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk and banana. Blend until smooth and creamy.
To Assemble the Bowl.
Pour the creamy oats into a bowl. Top with the crunchy quinoa cereal, sliced mango and chopped chocolate. Add some mint and a drizzle of chocolate coconut butter or coconut butter if desired. Eat!
(Recipe via Halfbakedharvest.com)
2. Oatmeal Quinoa Power Bowl
This is SO good you’ll totally forget it’s really healthy!
- 3/4 cups steel cut oats
- 1/4 cups quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- kosher salt
- toppings: pomegranate seeds, sliced banana, pumpkin seeds, toasted walnuts, coconut flakes, almond milk or cream, maple syrup, cinnamon
Rinse the quinoa and oats in a mesh strainer. Shake out excess water, and place in a small saucepan.
Add water, almond milk, and a generous sprinkling of sea salt to saucepan. Bring to a boil, uncovered.
Once boiling, immediately reduce heat to low and cover partially. Let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure quinoa and oats aren’t sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
Divide between four bowls, and add desired toppings in pretty rows. Eat!
(Recipe via CamilleStyles.com)
3. Kale Quinoa Breakfast Bowl