Search icon


16th Mar 2017

A school girl became temporarily paralysed after drinking energy drinks

Laura Holland

A school girl in the UK has been warned not to drink any more energy drinks after they left her with stroke-like symptoms.

13-year-old Cailtin Fraser had consumed energy drinks while at school when she felt unwell and collapsed. She said that the right-hand side of her body felt numb and stopped working.

Caitlin’s teacher rang an ambulance and she was rushed to hospital.

According to The Mirror, Caitlin suffered a rare Hemiplegic Migraine from the amount of caffeine in her body after drinking the energy drinks.

The symptoms included, paralysis on one-half of the body, motor weakness, visual disturbances, sensory disruptions and speech disturbance.

Speaking about her symptoms, Caitlin said:

“The right side of my face dropped and I was wondering what was going on then two minutes later my full right side had dropped and I had no sensation down my right side.

I was really scared, my friends then told the teacher who went and got a first aider and the school contacted my mum and dad and then phoned an ambulance.

The doctors and consultant said if I drink this again I could end up having a cardiac arrest.

I just want to make people aware of what happened to me, yes it’s very rare, but it can happen to you.”

Caitlin’s mum is now calling for shopkeepers to limit their sale of the drinks to children.