Search icon


18th Aug 2022

Man arrested on suspicion of the murder of Irish man in London

Stephen Porzio

Thomas O’Halloran, 87, was stabbed to death while riding his mobility scooter.

Police investigating the murder of Thomas O’Halloran, an elderly Irish man who lived in London, have made an arrest.

The 44-year-old man was arrested at an address in Southall in the early hours of Thursday (18 August) on suspicion of murder and remains in custody.

“I would like to thank the public for their overwhelming support following this horrific incident,” said Detective Chief Inspector Jim Eastwood who is leading the investigation.

“As a result of the release of a CCTV image yesterday, an arrest has been made and this investigation is progressing at pace.

“Mr O’Halloran’s family have been updated with this development and continue to be supported by specially trained officers.

“I would reiterate their previous request that their privacy is respected by everyone as they continue to come to terms with their tragic loss.”

A murder investigation was launched after police were called just after 4pm on Tuesday to Runnymede Gardens, at the junction with Cayton Road, in Greenford to reports of a man with stab wounds.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene and was later named as 87-year-old Thomas O’Halloran who lived in the Greenford area and was a grandfather.

Officers believe that Mr O’Halloran was stabbed in Western Avenue at around 4pm before managing to travel 75 yards or so on his mobility scooter to Runnymede Gardens, where he flagged down a member of the public for help.

O’Halloran is said to have been a much-loved member of the community in Greenford, where he regularly played music and often busked for charity.

Most recently, he raised money for the Ukrainian community living in London.

He was originally from Ennistymon in Clare, with Fine Gael Senator Martin Conway stating that his death has left the people of the area in “deep shock”.

“The news of the brutal murder of Thomas O’Halloran has shocked the people of Ennistymon and North Clare,” he said.

“It is almost unbelievable, that a man of his age using an electronic mobility device, was targeted and murdered in broad daylight. It is truly shocking.

“I sincerely hope the perpetrators are brought to justice as soon as possible,

“Tommy, as he was known, left Ennistymon for London 71 years ago but travelled home almost every year until about 10 years ago.

“I would like to offer my deepest sympathies to the O’Halloran family both in London and Ennistymon at this very difficult time for them.”