Search icon


16th Nov 2014

What You Need To Know About… Voting In The Same Sex Marriage Referendum

Have your say!


It’s been a long time coming but a referendum on whether same-sex marriage should be legalised in Ireland will take place next year.

This is a hugely important moment for the country but if you don’t get your affairs in order, you may not be eligible to be a part of it.

While the referendum itself won’t take place until next Spring, the deadline for signing on to the Register of Electors is November 25th.

Here’s what you need to know…

Am I eligible to join the Register?

To join the register, you have to be at least 18 years old on the day the Register comes into force (15 February) and be ordinarily resident in the State on 1 September this year.

Students living away from home while attending college have the choice of being registered at either their home address or their student residential address. You must be registered at one address only.

How do I know if I’m on the register?

You can make sure you’re all signed up by logging on to and putting in your details. If your name doesn’t appear, you may have to apply again.

My name isn’t on it… what do I do now?

You need to fill out this form and send it to your local authority before the deadline.

What if I’m on the register but my details are incorrect?

If you need to add your name or change your entry in the draft Register, you can do this up to 25 November each year by filling in the RFA1 form, which you can get from your local post office or public library or by clicking here. Forms are also available from your local authority and this is where completed forms should be returned to.

If you are applying because you have moved to a new address, you should include this information and your former address so that you can be removed from the register for that area.

What if I miss the deadline or my 18th birthday falls after the Register date?

If your name is not on the Register of Electors in February, you may still make an application to be included in a supplement register on form RFA2. You can make this application at any time but the submission application must be received by your local authority at least 15 days before polling day.

You are eligible for inclusion in the supplement to the Register of Electors on or after the day on which you reach 18 years of age. You can be included if this birthday falls after the closing date for applications but is on or before polling day. If you are within this category, you should accompany your application with a copy of your birth certificate.

Source: Citizens Information