A spokesperson for the X Factor has said that they are “unaware” of any legal claims filed against them.
Simon Cowell’s music company SyCo is reportedly facing a multi-million pound lawsuit from a number of former X Factor contestants.
As the Sunday Mirror reports, five solo acts and one band are planning on taking legal action over alleged “bullying, mistreatment and neglect”.
One member of the involved parties told the paper that being part of the singing competition series was a “horrific experience” and they are seeking compensation for the time and money they spent trying to make their lives “normal again” in the aftermath of the series.
They said: “Myself and five former acts have agreed to join forces and get the justice we feel we deserve.
“Simon needs to take responsibility. We lost a lot of money from having periods of our lives not making money to deal with trauma still ingrained from the show.”
They added that they have evidence of the alleged mistreatment in the form of “emails, recordings and psychological assessments”.
In a statement given to Metro, a spokesperson for X Factor said that they are “unaware” of any legal claims filed against them.
A spokesperson said: “Welfare of those taking part is our No1 priority and we have robust measures and welfare teams in place to ensure support is always available.
“We are unaware of any legal claims being filed against The X Factor and despite not being on air for several years, we remain open to discuss concerns with anyone who chooses to do so.”
Reports of legal action being taken follows speculation that a documentary set to expose alleged “bullying and exploitation” in the programme is in the works.
Earlier this month, a source told the Mail on Sunday that two production companies are working on a series, though nothing has been confirmed just yet.