News


Share
Published 09:38 22 May 2025 BST
Updated 09:58 22 May 2025 BST
Add us as a preferred source on Google »Kneecap have released a defiant statement after Mo Chara was charged with a terrorism offence.
Liam Óg Ó hAnnaidh, also known as Mo Chara, was charged yesterday for allegedly displaying a flag in support of Hezbollah.
The group have now released a statement on social media, saying they "deny this 'offence" and will vehemently defend themselves.
The statement began: "14,000 babies are about to die of starvation in Gaza, with food sent by the world sitting on the other side of a wall, and once again the British establishment is focused on us.
"This is political policing. This is a carnival of distraction. We are not the story. Genocide is. As they profit from genocide, they use an ‘anti-terror law’ against us for displaying a flag thrown on stage."
The Belfast trio continued: "A charge not serious enough to even warrant their ‘crown court’, instead a court that doesn’t have a jury. What’s the objective?
“To restrict our ability to travel. To prevent us speaking to young people across the world. To silence voices of compassion. To prosecute artists who dare speak out.
"Instead of defending innocent people, or the principles of international law they claim to uphold, the powerful in Britain have abetted slaughter and famine in Gaza, just as they did in Ireland for centuries. Then, like now, they claim justification."
They concluded: "We will fight you in your court. We will win. Free Palestine.”
You can read Kneecap's statement in full below.
Mo Chara is set to appear at Westminster Magistrates Court on June 18.
The Met Police said that the 27-year-old had been charged following an investigation by their counter terrorism command.
The Met said that the flag was displayed at the O2 Forum in London on November 21st.
They said it was allegedly displayed "in such a way or in such circumstances as to arouse reasonable suspicion that he is a supporter of a proscribed organisation."
They added: "Officers from the Met's counter terrorism command were made aware on Tuesday April 22 of an online video from the event. An investigation was carried out, which led to the Crown Prosecution Service authorising the above charge."
Dunnes shoppers obsessed with this co-ord perfect for summer weddings
Andie Anderson is calling, she wants this outfit. This stunning, affordable co-ord from Dunnes is the perfect wedding guest outfit, and it’s an absolute bargain! With a scorcher of a weekend on the way, summer is officially in full swing, bringing dreamy dresses, bright colours and breezy fabrics. Dunnes Stores has just dropped the perfect […]
News
20h
Vanessa Trump diagnosed with breast cancer
The Trump family showed their support Vanessa Trump, girlfriend of Tiger Woods and former daughter-in-law to Donald Trump, has revealed she has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She made the announcement on Wednesday in a post shared to Instagram, revealing she’s already had a surgical procedure done. She wrote: “I want to share a personal […]
News
1 day ago
News
News