Search icon

News

28th Jun 2023

Parents speak out after beloved son (10) dies in choking incident in school

By Callum Boyle

The parents of a 10-year-old boy who tragically died in a choking incident in school have penned a moving tribute.

Oscar Roome was rushed to hospital from Kidmore End CE Primary School in Caversham, Reading after choking during lunchtime on Friday.

Despite the best efforts of the staff present they were unable to save Roome, who lost consciousness and died the following day while surrounded by his family.

An inquest into the death is set to begin at Oxford Coroner’s Court today, June 28th.

In an emotional statement, Oscar’s family paid tribute to a “kind and curious” boy who was “just starting to blossom”.

They shared: “Staff at Kidmore End, especially Mr. Heritage (Year 5), and Miss Dove (Year 6), encouraged Oscar to engage and explore. He did just that.

“In all that he did, whatever field it was, he brought an infectious curiosity, a thirst not just for knowledge but for understanding, and a desire to learn and share.

“Yet he retained a kindness and humility in everything he did. We, his parents, and his siblings, are heartbroken.

“We cannot thank staff and pupils at Kidmore End enough for their efforts to assist Oscar on Friday.

“Nor indeed for their belief in Oscar’s abilities right from his first day in Foundation.

“Praise and thanks should also be given to the ambulance crews, police, air ambulance crew, and the teams at the Royal Berkshire and John Radcliffe Hospitals for their tireless efforts and empathy. They are all amazing people.

“Oscar will always be remembered for his kindness, cheeky smile, sense of humour, and humble intelligence. We love you, Oscar.”