As kids, we believed a lot of weird stuff that turned out to be untrue. For example, stepping on a crack does not affect your mother’s spinal health, and there’s nothing under our beds at night when the lights are switched off.
But what about the terror of swallowing your chewing gum by accident? It was drilled into me that it would stay sitting in my stomach for seven years, and I still remember the feeling in the pit of my stomach when I inadvertently swallowed my stick of Juicy Fruit.
Well, it looks like I had nothing at all to fear, according to the guys over at Cosmopolitan.
They spotted a video on the science YouTube channel Reactions explaining what really happens when your worst childhood fear comes true.
Chewing gum is made from rubber polymers, and while the enzymes in saliva can break down most of the ingredients, those pesky polymers are too stubborn.
Don’t worry, though, the undigested rubber…emerges from your body.
If you catch my drift.
Watch the video here: