Search icon

Celebrity

05th Sep 2015

TV Presenter Accuses Strictly Show Bosses Of Snub After Requesting Same-Sex Partner

He also claims dancer Robin Windsor was dropped for supporting same-sex couple dancing.

Her

Eggheads star CJ de Mooi has claimed his offer to join this year’s Strictly line-up was turned down because producers refused to allow same-sex dance couples.

The 45-year old claimed that show bosses opted to go for host Jeremy Vine after he requested to dance with a man during his negotiation talks.

LONDON, ENGLAND - APRIL 13:  CJ De Mooi poses for photographs ahead of the Virgin Money London Marathon on April 13, 2014 in London, England.  (Photo by Ben A. Pruchnie/Getty Images)

Speaking to The Mirror, de Mooi said:

“I can’t believe they picked Jeremy [Vine] over me. I’m quite upset. It’s because I wanted to dance in a same-sex couple.”

The TV panellist added that former professional dancer Robin Windsor was also dropped from the Saturday night show because he was ‘pushing for same sex couples’:

“Suddenly he’s not in it.”

The current professional ballroom dancing guidelines doesn’t allow same-sex couples to perform, with the BBC sticking to the original format.

Strictly-Come-Dancing-2014

Last year’s contestants for the ballroom dancing show

CJ added that he is disappointed in the BBC, adding:

“Someone at the BBC told me at least for the foreseeable future neither Strictly Come Dancing nor the US version Dancing With The Stars will have a same-sex couple on. How disappointing.

“Hopefully me speaking out will knock them into the 21st century. Here we are in 2015 with same-sex marriage fully legalised and still no same-sex couples on Strictly.”

Strictly judge Craig Revel-Horwood claimed earlier this year that he believes the ballroom guidelines will change within the next two years.

"Strictly Come Dancing 2015" - Red Carpet Launch

Speaking to OK! Magazine, he revealed:

“It’ll be either this year or next year, but most certainly, it will happen. They did it already in Hungary or somewhere.”

Strictly Come Dancing officials have yet to release an official statement regarding the claims.