Are you struggling with your plans for a new look in 2013 already? Help is at hand! We’ve paired up with Special K to bring you some great advice. Lisa Fitzpatrick is a top Irish stylist and here she shares her tips!
New Year, new opportunities and possibly a brand new you! There has never been a better time to re-invent yourself and be excited by all that lies ahead. If you have begun your weight loss journey or if you are simply contemplating making a change, then the best advice I can give you is to try and have some fun with style along the way. Nothing can hold you back when you are on a roll! Whether you are a dedicated follower of fashion or just looking to re-vamp your wardrobe, always remember that knowledge is power! We often find ourselves stuck in a style rut, so if you can, try to be brave. Trust me you will be surprised at the results. Here are my top tips for embracing your body shape and size, whatever it may be.
- Invest in the key pieces if you haven’t already done so. Every woman should have a really good pair of denims, a classic white shirt, a little black dress, a trench coat and a nice suit. It’s so important to have these staple items in your wardrobe and then adopt the latest trends in the form of accessories.
- Never ever underestimate the power of good shape-wear! Underwear can make or break an outfit. If you are concerned about a particular part of your body then body slimmers and shapers are great for pulling in any excess weight. The result is a curvy but smooth effect, which makes you appear slender. Remember that there is shape wear for all your problematic areas whether it is the midriff, arms or legs. All I can say is: money well spent!
- If being top heavy makes it difficult for you to find the right clothes then there are couple of things you can do. Choose tops that are loose fitting which slim down to cinch the hips and waist. Always opt for thin fabrics like cotton, as this won’t add bulk. You can also create the illusion of length by sticking to one colour. Try to avoid big bulky jewellery with low cut tops as this only draws attention to the area you are trying to avoid. It’s all about cheating the eye.
- For those of you who feel self conscious about the bottom half of your body then do not despair! A tip for evening out your frame is to wear a top or jacket with small shoulder pads. Dark trousers are great for minimising the lower part of your frame. Limit prints to the upper part of your body only and choose long, fitted tops that go past your hips. They real key to dressing a bottom heavy figure is balance.
- The midriff is an area which so many women have issues with. The answer to all your problems is in the sleeve! Opt for loose fitting tops with slim fitting sleeves. The flowing section of the top will give you breathing room but the sleeves create a nice, slim shape. Avoid empire waistlines as these can sometimes add weight and give you the ‘pregnant look’. Instead A-line dresses are a much better option.
- For those of you who aren’t crazy about your thighs then make sure you have opaque tights on hand! They are fantastic for slimming the leg. Also choose long tops, which reach as far as the top of your thigh. They are great for disguising the problem area.
Clothes have this amazing ability to make you feel fabulous so it’s always important to choose wisely! Also, don’t forget to check out www.myspecialk.ie for some great recipes ideas and exercise tips to help you keep on-track in 2013.
The Bright Side with Kellogg’s Special K – What will you gain?