
News


Share
Published 10:36 2 Sept 2025 BST
Updated 11:24 2 Sept 2025 BST

A Garda search is underway for a child feared dead in Dublin.
The boy, who would now be seven years old, has not been seen for several years, since he was around three and a half.
The search is expected to last several days.
Last week, the case surfaced when the Department of Social Protection raised concerns with Tusla, the Child and Family Agency, following an application for child benefit in the child's name.
The application was reviewed, and departmental inquiries revealed that there was no record of the child ever attending school.
On Friday, August 29th, Tusla reported concerns to Gardaí, who have since carried out searches and a technical examination at an apartment in Donabate, the boy's last known residence.
Furthermore, Minister for Children Norma Foley has said she is 'deeply concerned' for the child's welfare.
In a statement, Gardaí said: "Following enquiries carried out by and information available to investigating Gardaí to date, An Garda Síochána has been unable to either locate the boy, identify any information on his current whereabouts, or any evidence that he is currently alive.
"Investigating Gardaí believe that the boy is missing, presumed dead."
They added that they had taken control of an area of open ground in Donabate, which will be the focus of the search.
Gardaí are searching for the child's remains, which, if found, could help determine the cause of death.
No possible causes, including homicide, natural causes, or accidental death, have been ruled out.
Gardaí have spoken with the child’s family as part of the investigation and have stated that they are not in a position to identify the boy or his family 'for operational reasons'.
No arrests have been made, and the investigation remains ongoing.
Gardaí have issued an appeal for anyone with information to contact the incident room at Swords Garda Station.
Explore more on these topics:

2025 was the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre’s busiest year on record
The DRCC delivered 7,270 therapy appointments last year The Dublin Rape Crisis Centre (DRCC) had its busiest year on record in 2025, with demand for support reaching unprecedented levels. According to the DRCC, the rise of deepfake images and other forms of online sexual violence and harassment has emphasised a need for legal and social […]
News
1 day ago
Here’s when the weather in Ireland is set to reach up to 20C again
If you’re looking for some extra information, we’ve broken down the weather forecast province by province. Ireland is set for a very welcome change in the weather over the next few days. After weeks of dull, damp and cold spells, temperatures in Ireland look like they will start to rise towards the end of this […]
News
1 day ago
News
Gen Z don’t want to take your phone calls – and they have a pretty good reason why
News