The RTÉ Board has confirmed that Dee Forbes, the Director General for RTÉ, has been suspended from her employment.
The announcement comes after the board on Thursday revealed that presenter Ryan Tubridy’s annual earnings between 2017 and 2022 had been understated by the broadcaster.
The RTÉ Board revealed that Tubridy was paid over €345,000 more during this time than initially declared. It then issued an apology over the matter, describing it as “a serious breach of trust with the public”.
In response, Minister for Media Catherine Martin said she was “extremely concerned” by the details, while the National Union of Journalists described the situation as “a breach of trust unparalleled in the history of RTÉ”.
Tubridy himself, meanwhile, responded to the controversy on Thursday evening, explaining that he was “surprised” by the revelations. He also said he “can’t shed any light” on why RTÉ dealt with his payments in such a manner.
He did not present his radio show on Friday morning.
In its latest statement on the matter, the RTÉ Board confirmed that Forbes was suspended on Wednesday, June 21st, before adding: “There are processes on-going and RTÉ must be mindful of its legal responsibilities and the rights of individuals. RTÉ will not be commenting further on this issue at this time.”
Forbes’s current term as Director General of RTÉ was already scheduled to end next month.
- RTÉ issues apology after broadcaster overpaid Ryan Tubridy by €345k
- Teenager only agreed to go on Titanic sub trip as Father’s Day gift
- ‘It is unfortunate’ – Ryan Tubridy breaks silence after RTÉ paid broadcaster additional €345k