For our ‘Sweet Treat’ feature, we bring you a taste bud-tingling, saliva-inducing recipe every week.
Whether you simply want to put your baking skills to the test or fancy treating your colleagues to something tasty, this is where to come.
This week the recipe is for Apple Crumble with Toffee Sauce, courtesy of Boutique Bake…
For the crumble:
- 50g porridge oats
- 150g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 80 g butter
- 1 vanilla pod (optional)
For the filling:
- 4-5 large cooking apples – peeled, cored and quartered
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 75g butter
- 150g light brown sugar
- 100g golden syrup
- 100ml cream
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5. Peel and core the apples, quarter and cut in to bite-size chunks.
2. Put the apples into a large pan with the sugar and water. Cook over a low heat for 5 – 10 minutes until the apples are nice and tender, leave on the heat a little longer if necessary. Remove from heat and set aside.
(Optional: Remove from heat and stir in your vanilla pod scraping and mix through.)
3. Place the flour and oats in a bowl and mix well. Cut the butter into small cubes and add this to the mixture.
4. Using your fingertips, mix until it resembles an even crumb-like texture.
5. Add the sugar and mix through.
6. Place a nice thick layer of your apple mixture into each dish and then generously cover with your crumble topping.
7. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, until the crumble is nice and golden and the apple mixture is bubbling through.
Now for your Toffee Sauce:
1. Place the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a pan over a low heat.
2. Stir slowly until all ingredients are nicely combined, this should take about 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and pour in your cream and stir through.
4. Pour your sauce into a jug. Serve your crumbles warm with some whipped cream.
Boutique Bake is available nationwide in selected Tesco stores, Super Valu, Dunnes Stores, Avoca, Morton’s and many other grocery stores. For more information on products, stockists and the Boutique Bake girls please visit the website here.