
Celebrity


Share
Published 12:51 20 Jun 2024 BST
Updated 15:33 20 Jun 2024 BST

A new clip posted to social media shows Celine Dion breaking down in tears as she struggles to sing.
The snippet was taken from the trailer of her new Prime Video documentary.
I Am: Celine Dion will be available to stream on June 25th, and charts the pop icon's battle with a life-altering neurological condition.
In the film, the Canadian singer reveals the extent to which the illness has hindered her ability to sing. The emotional toll of this can be seen in the clip shared on social media.
The 56-year-old explains how Stiff Muscle Syndrome causes muscle stiffness and painful spasms, and details when she first started detecting symptoms.
“Seventeen years ago I started to experience some voice spasming, this is the way it started,” she said in the documentary, which is directed by Oscar nominee Irene Taylor.
“I woke up one morning and I had my breakfast, and after having my breakfast, my voice started to go up.
“It freaked me out a little bit, because normally when you’re tired as a singer because you did a show the night before, your voice would go roughly half a key down or one note down.”
She continued: “I was scared, I didn’t know what to do. And today, [I’ve received] the diagnosis. SPS, which is Stiff Person Syndrome.
“It’s in the muscle, it’s in the tendons, it’s in the nerves. You can’t see anything, because it’s not seeable.”
The My Heart Will Go On singer added that it reached a point where she “couldn’t walk”, as she was losing her balance and in “a lot of pain”.
“I can’t use my voice yet,” she said, starting to weep. “Music… I miss it a lot. But also, the people. I miss them.”
A scene shows her attempting to use her voice in a recording booth, but struggling with the action she once found came naturally.
"That’s what happens and it’s very difficult for me to show this to you,” she said, crying.
“I think I was very good… I think I had some stuff that was amazing.”
Last year, Dion was forced to cancel her entire world tour as a result of her health.
A statement was issued on the singer’s website following the difficult decision. Dion explained that it is best to cancel the tour now rather than postpone shows.
“It is with tremendous disappointment that we have to announce today the cancellation of the Courage World Tour.
“I’m so sorry to disappoint all of you once again. I’m working really hard to build back my strength, but touring can be very difficult even when you’re 100%. It’s not fair to you to keep postponing the shows, and even though it breaks my heart, it’s best that we cancel everything now until I’m really ready to be back on stage again.
“I want you all to know, I’m not giving up… and I can’t wait to see you again!”
Explore more on these topics:
I’m so sorry to disappoint all of you once again... and even though it breaks my heart, it’s best that we cancel everything until I’m really ready to be back on stage... I’m not giving up… and I can’t wait to see you again!” – Celine xx…
— Celine Dion (@celinedion) May 26, 2023
More info👉https://t.co/DHUch7W7OF pic.twitter.com/bgszxVd1za
Vernon Kay speaks out about his split from Tess Daly
Vernon Kay and Tess Daly have ended their marriage after 22 years Vernon Kay has spoken out after announcing the end of his marriage to TV presenter Tess Daly. The couple confirmed the heartbreaking news in a statement on Friday evening. In a joint statement, the pair announced the end of their 22-year marriage, but […]
Celebrity
1 week ago
I wish more celebrities had the same attitude toward cosmetic work as Billie Eilish
Can more celebrities have the same attitude as Billie Eilish? It feels like getting cosmetic work is as common as getting your haircut, and we’re growing more and more concerned about how normalised it has become. It feels like something we should all get done now, and that expectation is only being enhanced by Hollywood. […]
Celebrity
1 week ago
Celebrity
Celebrity